Wednesday, March 28, 2007

4. Memory Motel - Rolling Stones

One of my favorite Stones songs. In high-school we spent an unimaginable amount of time trying to determine the location of the motel from clues in the song. I had a t-shirt made for my boyfriend that read “Where is Memory Motel”.

You're just a memory of a love
That used to mean so much to me
You're just a memory girl
You're just a sweet memory
And it used to mean so much to me
Sha la la la la
She got a mind of her own
And she use it well
Mighty fine, she's one of a kind

On the seventh day my eyes were all a glaze
We've been ten thousand miles
Been in fifteen states
Every woman seemed to fade out of my mind
I hit the bottle and hit the sack and cried
What's all this laughter on the 22nd floor
It's just some friends of mine
And they're busting down the door
Been a lonely night at the Memory Motel

8 comments:

Deloney said...

According to something I found online the Memory Motel is in Montauk on Long Island near Andy Walhol's place where the Stones stayed sometimes. The Motel had a piano and pool tables so the Stones hung out at the bar from time to time.

Deloney said...

Warhol not Walhol.

Indigo Bunting said...

I forget where it is.

Otter said...

Making a T-shirt for a beloved is an act of pure and total teenage love.

B Kiddo said...

Deloney - The closest we came to finding it was that it was in the Northeast. Unfortunately, at the time we didn't have the World Wide Web to help in our search. Thanks for the info. I think I found my new vacation spot! ;-)

Lisa - That shirt was the first Christmas gift I gave to my boyfriend. The first of many firsts with him and one of many beloved memories...

B Kiddo said...

PS - I could do this x365 on nothig but stones songs! Lord knows they have recorded enough and the only reason that boyfriend asked me out was because the first time he saw me I was wearing a stones t-shirt! We dated all through high school then we were married for quite a few wonderful years. Listening to the Stones the whole time!

Deloney said...

I was going to do "Moonlight Mile" but Helen is in charge of moon songs.

Helen said...

I'm only doing the moon series until Monday when it's the full moon, and I take weekends off, so please feel free to take over!